(For explanation, see this post.)
On the eighth day of Christmas, my Cardinal love gave to me
Eight extras a-hitting,
Seventh place a-sitting,
Six homers a-helping,
Five slugging Redbirds,
Four players to Miami,
Three Patron saves,
Two Cardinal stars,
And an unmovable Yadi.
- Yadier Molina played in 136 games and had more at-bats (501) than any other Cardinal. He was second in games played to Matt Carpenter but had more starts at one position than Carp did.
- Molina and Carlos Martinez were selected to represent the Cardinals in the All-Star Game in Miami.
- Tyler Lyons, the Patron Pitcher of the blog, picked up three saves this season, the most of any pitcher never assigned the ninth inning. It’s also my blog and there was going to be a Patron Pitcher reference.
- On December 13, the Cardinals sent Sandy Alcantara, Magneuris Sierra, Zac Gallen, and Daniel Castano to the Marlins for outfielder Marcell Ozuna.
- Five Cardinals (Paul DeJong, Carpenter, Tommy Pham, Randal Grichuk, and Jedd Gyorko) had 20 or more home runs in 2017.
- On August 28, after Hurricane Harvey ravaged the Houston area, Carpenter pledged $10,000 for every home run he hit from then until the end of the season, an amount quickly matched by teammate Adam Wainwright and the Cardinal organization as a whole. Carpenter hit six home runs in that span, raising $180,000 for relief efforts.
- By wins, the Cardinals finished seventh overall in the National League this season, with their 83 wins trailing Los Angeles (104), Washington (97), Arizona (93), Chicago (92), Colorado (87), and Milwaukee (86).
- In a series against the Mets from July 7-9 in Busch Stadium, DeJong set a modern Cardinal record by slugging eight extra-base hits. He also set the major league record for rookies in that department.