ST. LOUIS, Mo., June 19, 2017 – The St. Louis Cardinals announced today that 13 players from the 2017 First-Year Player draft have agreed to terms on minor league contracts and passed their physical. The newly signed players will join the Cardinals short-season clubs (State College and Johnson City) which begin play this week.
The highest pick to agree to terms is 9th round selection Evan Kruczynski, a left-handed pitcher out of East Carolina University. LHP Brett Seeburger (10th Round) and INF Evan Mendoza (11th Round) join Kruczynski as the highest picks from this year’s draft to sign to date.
A complete list of all 13 picks that have signed and passed their physical can be found below. The Cardinals have until July 7 at 4:00 p.m. CT, to sign players from the 2017 MLB First-Year Player Draft.
2017 FIRST-YEAR PLAYER DRAFT
Rd., Player (overall pick) Pos. B-T Ht. Wt. School Hometown
- Evan Kruczynski (274) LHP L-L 6-5 215 East Carolina University Franklin, Wis.
- Brett Seeburger (304) LHP L-L 6-2 225 San Diego State University Oceanside, Calif.
- Evan Mendoza (334) 3B R-R 6-2 200 North Carolina State University Sarasota, Fla.
- Jake Walsh (484) RHP R-R 6-1 192 Florida Southern College Indialantic, Fla.
- Will Latcham (514) RHP R-R 6-2 200 Coastal Carolina University Briarcliffe, Pa.
- Irving Lopez (574) 2B S-R 5-10 170 Florida International University Yuma, Ariz.
- Brandon Benson (604) OF R-R 6-1 195 Georgia College & State University Loganville, Ga.
- Evan Guillory (694) RHP R-R 6-3 205 University of Louisiana-Lafayette Jennings, La.
- Thomas St. Clair (724) RHP R-R 6-1 186 Lenoir-Rhyne University Winston-Salem, N.C.
- Patrick Dayton (754) LHP L-L 6-0 170 Kent State University La Jolla, Calif.
- Paul Balestrieri (784) RHP R-R 6-0 210 Cornell University West Windsor, N.J.
- Wood (John) Myers (874) 2B L-R 5-8 180 Coastal Carolina University Chapel Hill, N.C.
- Michael Brdar (1,084) SS R-R 5-10 180 University of Michigan Pleasanton, Calif.