Cardinals to Open at Busch Stadium in Front of Fans for Second Time in Last 10 Seasons
ST. LOUIS, Mo., April 5, 2022– A pregame ceremony that introduces the 2022 St. Louis Cardinals, honors the club’s Hall of Famers and commemorates the great tradition of Opening Day in St. Louis will highlight the annual return of baseball at Busch Stadium on Thursday, April 7. The Cardinals will open the 2022 season at home against the Pittsburgh Pirates at 3:15 PM CT. A pregame schedule and information can be found below and at cardinals.com/OpeningDay to help fans enjoy the unofficial holiday that is #OpeningDaySTL:
10:30 AM – 12:30 PM Official Opening Day Pep Rally at Ballpark Village: Join Fredbird, Team Fredbird, DJ Todd Thomas, Cardinals organist Dwayne Hilton and Cardinals Alumni on the Missouri Lottery Stage in the Together Credit Union Plaza for the Cardinals Opening Day Pep Rally. This event is free for all fans to attend and will proceed rain or shine. The pep rally includes prizes and ticket giveaways to Opening Day and other games this season.
12:00 PM Gates Open
2022 Cardinals Magnet Schedule: All fans, ages 21 and older, will receive a magnet featuring the 2022 Cardinals schedule, compliments of Budweiser.
12:05 – 12:55 PM Cardinals batting practice (subject to change)
1:00 – 1:50 PM Pirates batting practice (subject to change)
2:30 PM Pregame ceremonies begin with an appearance by the world famous Budweiser Clydesdales
2:33 PM Introduction of Fredbird & Team Fredbird
2:34 PM Baseball is Back scoreboard video
2:37 PM Recognition of Cardinals ownership and management
2:38 PM Introduction of Cardinals Hall of Famers via 2022 Ford Mustang motorcade
2:48 PM Special Tribute scoreboard video
2:53 PM Introduction of the St. Louis Cardinals via 2022 Ford F-150 Tremor motorcade
3:04 PM Introduction of the Pittsburgh Pirates
3:06 PM National Anthem performed by Fleet Street & Color Guard presentation by Fort Leonard Wood
3:09 PM Ceremonial First Pitch
3:15 PM First Pitch
Opening Day airs on Bally Sports Midwest and streams on the Bally Sports app. An extended edition of Cardinals Live pregame begins at 1:30 PM on Bally Sports Midwest and will include live coverage of the pregame ceremonies inside Busch Stadium. Dan McLaughlin and Jim Edmonds will call the game, with Jim Hayes serving as reporter. Alexa Datt, Ricky Horton and Brad Thompson will host pregame and postgame coverage from a special set inside Busch Stadium.
Fans can tune into KMOX 1120 AM, 98.7 FM, or one of the 147 stations in the Cardinals Radio Network to hear John Rooney, Ricky Horton and Mike Claiborne call the game. The Ameren Total Access Show starts at 1:40 PM and will include live coverage of the pregame ceremonies inside Busch Stadium.
Fans can tune in locally to WIJR 880 AM “La Tremenda” to hear Cardinals Spanish broadcasters Polo Ascencio and Bengie Molina call the home opener as well.
Online or On The Go
Fans can follow the game for free on cardinals.com using the Gameday application and can keep tabs on the score from their mobile device using the MLB app. The Cardinals home opener, including pregame ceremonies, will be streamed live on the Bally Sports app, BallySports.com (for fans who authenticate through their pay-TV service) and KMOX.com.
2022 Economic Impact
Based on a projected regular season attendance of three million fans, Greater St. Louis, Inc. estimates the Cardinals to generate a total of $302.1 million in regional economic activity for the upcoming season. The analysis estimates the direct economic impact will total $141 million, spurring an indirect economic impact of $161.1 million, with out-of-town visitors making up more than 40% of total attendees.
The analysis uses the economic impact model IMPLAN, which measures how spending tied to an event has multiple impacts and spreads throughout a region, thereby benefiting households and firms within the region. The direct, indirect, and total economic figures are based on estimates of visitor spending and the economic contribution of the Cardinals and Busch Stadium operations.
Food Service at Busch Stadium
Delaware North Sportservice, the club’s concessionaire for more than 50 years, is preparing to welcome fans back to Busch Stadium. The following updates have been made to improve food service inside Busch Stadium:
- Mobile Ordering: Fans sitting in Sections 141-160 and the Redbird Club (Sections 241-257) will be able to order from a menu of ballpark favorites including hot dogs, popcorn, peanuts, beer, and soda on their phones through the MLB Ballpark app and have their order delivered directly to their seats. Payments will be made inside the app and orders will be delivered promptly.
- “Top of the 5th” Concession Stand: Select from some of the most popular specialty concession items that Cardinals fans have come to love. Top Dog Hot Dogs, El Birdo’s Nachos and the new Nonna’s Italian Beef Sandwiches highlight the hot food options at this new Grab ‘N Go stand. Finish those off with a bevy of hot and cold toppings. Featuring a great selection of canned beer and soda as well as snacks and ice cream. Located near Gate 5 in left field.
- Grab ‘N Go Express Self-Checkout: In an effort to reduce transaction times and crowding, five concession stands have been converted to allow fans to grab hot “Ballpark Favorites” and quickly scan and pay for their items themselves. These Grab N’ Go concession stands can be found near Sections 132, 146, 162, 446 and the newly added “Top of the 5th” stand near Gate 5.
New Concession Items
Delaware North Executive Chef Larry Johnson and his culinary team have developed a few new menu items for the 2022 season, including:
- Nonna’s Italian Beef Sandwich: Shaved prime rib of beef, grilled and seasoned with Italian spices. Dipped in au jus and topped with provolone cheese. Add red peppers, onions, and Giardiniera on this St. Louis favorite. Available near Sections 151, 189, 434, & the new “Top of the 5th” stand near Gate 5.
- Grilled Meatballs: Grilled meatballs in two exciting flavors: roasted garlic marinara and BBQ style. Served atop fresh kettle chips or as part of our Grand Slam Mixed Grill Box. Great for sharing! Available at the Terrace Grill in Section 428.
- St. Louis BBQ Nachos: Pulled pork smoked in house, BBQ sauce, crispy nacho chips, and spicy jalapeno cheddar cheese. Shake on some BBQ spice! Available at the Broadway BBQ stand in Section 109.
- “Pop Pop Hurray!” Gourmet Popcorn: We are excited to add this local, family-owned gourmet popcorn company and their great products to Busch Stadium. We will feature four flavors: cheddar, red caramel, kettle corn and stadium mix (cheddar + red caramel). All the popcorn is made with premium non-GMO ingredients, is gluten free, and popped in 100% coconut oil. Available in the Coke Corner near Gate 1.
- Island Freeze Frozen Drinks: Cool down at the ballpark this summer with a bevy of frozen drinks. Served in two collectable take home cups: 16oz Mason jar and 20oz Half Yard. Choose one of our delicious frozen flavors or mix and match to create your own vacation in your hand. Available near Section 160.
2022 Opening Day 50/50 Raffle & Silent Auctions
The Cardinals Care 50/50 Raffle is a chance for fans to test their luck all while making a difference in our community. Opening Day raffle tickets will go on sale at 9AM on Thursday, April 7, with the drawing taking place on Sunday, April 10, at the end of the 7th inning. One lucky winner will take home half of the total pot, while the other half will go to Cardinals Care to help support the Redbird Rookies youth softball and baseball program and our grant program that provides much needed funding to area non-profits that support kids.
Raffle tickets are 60 for $20, 10 for $10 or 3 for $5. Fans must be 18 years of age or older and be located in the state of Missouri at the time of purchase. To purchase tickets, visit cardinals.com/5050.
Additionally, the Cardinals will conduct an Opening Weekend Silent Auction featuring autographed jerseys, baseball, caps and more beginning on Thursday, April 7, at 9AM through Sunday, April 10 at 9PM. Fans can bid online at cardinals.com/ccauctions.
2022 Official Team Media Guide
The St. Louis Cardinals Media Guide is the official resource used daily by sportswriters, broadcasters and Cardinals front office staff. Celebrating the iconic battery of Yadier Molina and Adam Wainwright, the Cardinals Media Guide contains stats and biographies of every player in the organization and is the best and most comprehensive book about the Cardinals anywhere.
The 2022 Media Guide is available for $20 at the Official Cardinals Team Store, Cardinals Authentics Shops or online at cardinals.com/mediaguide.
Prohibited Items Policy
- In conjunction with a league-wide policy established by Major League Baseball, the St. Louis Cardinals reserve the right to inspect all items entering Busch Stadium.
- Guests may bring in items such as: bags, purses and soft-sided coolers not exceeding 10” x 10” x 8”; food, non-alcoholic beverages in factory-sealed plastic bottles no larger than 2 liters; empty cups, mugs or plastic bottles.
- Fans can visit cardinals.com/security for the complete stadium inspection policy and prohibited items list.