Ankiel Book Signing and First Batch of Theme Nights Highlight Brief Homestand vs. Pirates
ST. LOUIS, Mo., April 17, 2017 – The Cardinals return to Busch Stadium for a short three-game homestand versus Central division foe, the Pittsburgh Pirates. The second homestand of the season is highlighted by four theme events including College Night, Scouts Night, Red Schoendienst Bud Bash and Weather Day.
Monday, April 17, 2017 — Cardinals vs. Pittsburgh Pirates (6:05 p.m.)
ESPN National Broadcast
Gates open at 4:35 p.m.
- Cardinals Poster Promotional Giveaway: The first 30,000 ticketed fans will receive a poster highlighting the team’s 125th anniversary, compliments of Shelter Insurance. (#CardsPromo)
- College Theme Night: The St. Louis Cardinals invite students, faculty and staff of local colleges and universities to the first of two College Nights of the season. Fans who purchase the $20 theme night ticket receive an exclusive, limited edition Cardinals hoodie. Fans must present the special theme night voucher in order to receive this promotional item. For more info, or to purchase tickets, visit cardinals.com/theme (#CardsTheme).
- Jackie Robinson Day: The Cardinals will recognize this past Saturday’s Jackie Robinson Day (April 15) with a short video during pregame ceremonies.
- Pregame Poms/Cheer/Dance Performances: Prior to the game, groups from Kaskaskia College, Midwest Royal AllStars and O’Faolain Academy of Irish Dance will perform in the Ford Plaza beginning around 4:35 p.m.
- MLBPAA Auction: The Major League Baseball Players Alumni Association will conduct a baseball-themed silent auction by Gate 1 (Section 137) and Gate 3 from the time gates open through the fifth inning. All proceeds will benefit Cardinals Care and the Players Alumni Association, a non-profit group that strives to preserve the game of baseball while supporting a variety of charities.
Tuesday, April 18, 2017 — Cardinals vs. Pittsburgh Pirates (7:15 p.m.)
Gates open at 5:45 p.m.
- Boy/Girl Scouts Theme Night: The St. Louis Cardinals invite all Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, and their families to enjoy Scout Night at the ballpark. This is the first of three planned Scouts Nights for the 2017 season. For just $14, each scout receives a ticket to the game as well as a voucher which can be exchanged for a Cardinals scout patch. Fans must present the voucher in order to receive this promotional item. For more info, or to purchase tickets, visit cardinals.com/theme (#CardsTheme).
- Red Schoendienst Budweiser Bash Theme Night: Fans who purchase this special Bud Bash Theme Ticket receive a voucher for a limited edition Red Schoendienst mini bobblehead as we celebrate the 50th anniversary of the 1967 World Series Champion team. VIP ticket-holders will also have access to a pregame autograph session with Red. Fans must present the voucher in order to receive this promotional item. For more info, or to purchase general tickets, visit cardinals.com/theme (#BudBash).
- Rick Ankiel Book Signing: Former Cardinals outfielder/pitcher Rick Ankiel will sign copies of his new book, The Phenomenon: Pressure, the Yips, and the Pitch that Changed My Life, in the Cardinals Museum from 4:00-6:00 p.m. A limited number of signing tickets—which include a copy of the book as well as admission to the Cardinals Museum—are on sale for $30 at cardinals.com/museum. Rick will also throw out a ceremonial first pitch before the start of the tonight’s game.
- Cardinals Care Stadium Auction: Fans have the unique opportunity to bid on exclusive autographed Cardinals memorabilia at the game. The auction is a great way for fans and collectors to obtain specialty Cardinals items while helping support the programs that Cardinals Care provides to youth in the community. Auction tables will be located by Gate 1 (Section 137), Gate 3, inside the Cardinals Club, UMB Champions Club and Redbird Club.
- Wainwright’s Winners: Adam Wainwright will host a group from Friends of Kids with Cancer for tonight’s game as part of his Wainwright’s Winners player ticket program. Prior to the game, the group will get to watch batting practice from the field and meet with Adam in the dugout to take pictures and ask questions.
Wednesday, April 19, 2017 — Cardinals vs. Pittsburgh Pirates (12:45 p.m.)
Gates open at 11:15 a.m.
- Weather Theme Day: Join us for Weather Day at Busch Stadium hosted by Chief Meteorologist Craig Moeller and the entire KSDK News Channel 5 On Your Side Weather Team for a pregame program to educate kids about the weather and its effects on the environment. Geared towards elementary and middle school students, the all-new, interactive program teaches children about weather, and includes eye-popping experiments from the Saint Louis Science Center, an educational expo, lunch and tickets to the game all for just $16. Visit cardinals.com/theme for more info.
- Great Clips Charity Haircuts: During the game, fans can root for the Redbirds and shape up their roots with a visit to Ford Plaza for Great Clips’ Charity Haircuts. For a $10 donation, Great Clips—who sponsors the event every weekday afternoon game during the season—will cut your hair and donate all proceeds to Cardinals Care.
MORE HOMESTAND INFORMATION
Update Prohibited Items & Bag Inspection Policy
Fans are still allowed to bring their own food and beverages into Busch Stadium for all 81 games. However, some items will no longer be permitted to be brought through the gates. Outside cups (e.g. fast food/gas stations cups), mugs and thermoses are prohibited. All drinks must be factory sealed, in clear plastic bottles no larger than two (2) liters.
Multi-compartment backpacks are no longer permitted inside the ballpark. Duffel bags, tote bags, cinch bags, diaper bags and purses no larger than 16” x 16” x 8” are still allowed. Additionally, ice packs are prohibited unless required for a medical condition. Fans can still bring loose ice to keep food and beverages cold. For a full list of permitted and prohibited items, visit cardinals.com/security.
Delaware North Sportservice, the club’s concessionaire for more than 50 years, is preparing to welcome fans back to Busch Stadium. Delaware North Executive Chef Larry Johnson and his culinary team have developed a few new menu items for the 2017 season, including:
- Deluxe Sausages: Three different 1/3 pound links including our Old World Bratwurst, served with sauerkraut; our mild Italian Sausage, served with sautéed peppers and onions; and our medium heat Chorizo, served with sautéed peppers and onions. All deluxe sausages are served exclusively at our “Crowd The Plate” stand in Section 148 and can be purchased a la carte for $9 or as a combo with tater tots for $14.25.
- The Redbird: The winner of our Fan Food Challenge, the Redbird is a crispy breaded chicken breast, tossed in buffalo wing sauce, topped with Provel cheese and served on an egg Kaiser roll. The Redbird will be served exclusively at our “Double Play Tap & Grill” stands located in Section 135 and the Perficient Perch in Section 359. Served with tater tots for $14.
Mobile Friendly Fan Food Guide
The Cardinals Fan Food Guide is available at cardinals.com/food and via the MLB.com Ballpark mobile app to help fans locate their favorite food and beverages at Busch Stadium. In addition to showing where each concession item may be purchased, the Cardinals Fan Food Guide also includes a photo of each item, as well as its price. Fans can browse all concession options around the stadium generally via the A-Z listing or can target specific alcoholic and non-alcohol beverages and deserts. The Cardinals Fan Food Guide even gives fans the ability to sort offerings by Healthy Choices & Special Dietary Requests.
Fans can access the Cardinals Fan Food Guide from their mobile devices while attending a Cardinals game by using the public facing WiFi (CardinalsWiFi) that was launched at Busch Stadium earlier this season.
Purina Pooches in the Ballpark
Tickets for the 13th annual Purina Pooches in the Ballpark game on Saturday, May 20 are on sale now at cardinals.com/pooches. Each all-inclusive ticket is good for one person and one dog and includes an all-you-can-eat buffet with unlimited water, soda and beer, an exclusive pet goodie bag and access to the pregame costume parade around the Busch Stadium warning track.
Cardinals Hall of Fame and Museum
In March, Steve Carlton, Keith Hernandez, Jason Isringhausen, Tim McCarver, Mark McGwire, Edgar Renteria and Scott Rolen were revealed as the seven players nominated for possible induction into the St. Louis Cardinals Hall of Fame. The seven modern ballot nominees were selected by a “Red Ribbon” committee of Cardinals baseball experts through a secret ballot process and appeared on the Cardinals Hall of Fame ballot online at cardinals.com/HOF presented by Edward Jones (#CardsHOF). Voting concluded on April 14 and the fourth induction class will be announced on Friday, April 28 during a televised 30-minutes special on FOX Sports Midwest.
Saturday Signings at the Museum is held exclusively at the Cardinals Hall of Fame and Museum before each Saturday home game where fans can meet and get an autograph from a former Cardinals player with valid admission to the museum. In addition to having valid admission, fans must obtain a free autograph line ticket which will be distributed starting at 9:30 a.m. at the Busch Stadium II Infield entrance to Cardinals Nation at Ballpark Village on the day of each Saturday signing. Players will sign for two hours prior to game time and fans will need to bring their own items to be autographed unless otherwise noted. Fans can visit cardinals.com/museum for more details and scheduling.
The Cardinals have launched a new museum membership level for fans desiring the most premier level of benefits. Benefits of the Ultimate Cardinals Museum Membership include a bronze mini plaque engraved with the member’s name, an autographed bat and baseball from a Cardinals Hall of Famer, VIP seating for two at the Cardinals Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony and much more.
The Cardinals are proud to continue to offer the Individual ($50) and Family ($85) Museum Membership options for fans in 2017. Membership benefits include unlimited museum admission for one year, guest passes, limited edition bobbleheads of Dizzy Dean and Ted Simmons, discounts to the Cardinals Authentics Shop & Cardinals Nation Restaurant, and access to select presales and member-only events. Visit cardinals.com/membership for a detailed list of membership benefits.
The Cardinals Hall of Fame and Museum within Cardinals Nation features the largest team-held collection in baseball. The collection is second only to the National Baseball Hall of Fame in terms of size with over 22,000 memorabilia items and hundreds of thousands of archival photographs. Be sure to check out this year’s special gallery, Women in Baseball: How They Made History, which examines women’s involvement and contributions to St. Louis baseball and the game at large. The Museum is open daily from 10:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. and remains open through the 7th inning on home game nights. Adult admission is $12, and tickets can be purchased at cardinals.com/museum (#CardsMuseum).
Fans can visit one of the two Cardinals Authentics locations inside Cardinals Nation or in the Ford Plaza to shop for authentic Cardinals gear and to take home a piece of the game. Cardinals Authentics specializes in official, game-used, limited edition and autographed memorabilia direct from the club. Both shops offer a great selection of current and vintage Cardinals apparel, as well as one-of-a-kind collectibles. The Cardinals Nation location is open daily from 10:00 a.m.—8:00 p.m. (April-October) and 10:00 a.m.—6:00 p.m. (November-March). On game nights, the Ford Plaza shop will remain open 30 minutes after last pitch while the Cardinals Nation shop will remain open one hour after the final pitch. Visit cardinals.com/authentics or follow them on Twitter @CardsAuthentics. (#CardsAuthentics)
Cardinals Nation Restaurant and Bar
New for 2017, the Cardinals have launched the Cardinals Nation Food Truck. Serving a combination of ballpark fare and unique culinary creations, the Cardinals Nation Food Truck will be located at 8th and Clark on game days, and will hit the streets around the city for lunch service. The food truck menu consists of 10 entrée offerings including fan favorites from the Cardinals Nation Restaurant like the Cardinals Nation Nachos and Four Cheese Mac & Cheese, along with fun new selections such as Bacon Ribs and the Twisted Cheddar Brat. In addition to taking part in local fairs and festivals, the food truck will be available for corporate and social events, catering and will be part of the Cardinals outreach throughout the St. Louis community. Fans can follow the #CardsFoodTruck on Twitter @CardsFoodTruck for weekly truck location announcements. To view the full menu, fans can visit cardinals.com/foodtruck.
Cardinals Nation will continue to host the Official Pre-Game Party of the St. Louis Cardinals. This ticketed pep-rally style party is located in the Hall of Fame Club on the second floor, two and a half hours prior to every Cardinals home game during the 2017 season. The exclusive pre-game event includes a full buffet menu, all-inclusive bar and a DJ or live music all the way until first pitch. Tickets for the Opening Day Official Pre-Game Party are currently sold out. Tickets for future Pre-Game Parties can be purchased at cardinals.com/pregame, at any Busch Stadium box office or at the Cardinals Museum.
Open daily, Cardinals Nation is the year-round home to Cardinals fans offering a variety of weekly programming and special events. This season, fans won’t want to miss the following highlights:
- Happy Hour at Cardinals Nation: Enjoy $5 souvenir drafts and lemonades along with your choice of five different $5 appetizer selections: Buffalo Wings, Smothered Bratzel, Mini Corn Dogs, Pulled Pork Sliders and Burger Sliders every Monday-Friday, excluding home game dates, from 3–7p.m.
- $3 Thursdays: Enjoy $3 Budweiser family pints, call cocktails and house win while you take part in interactive games, trivia and giveaways with DJ Joe every Thursday, excluding home game dates, from 4–10 p.m.
Ballpark Village is the premiere dining, drinking, and entertainment destination in the region. Located in the heart of St. Louis’ central business district adjacent to Busch Stadium, Ballpark Village hosts events 365 days a year, providing patrons with a variety of entertainment, food and beverage, and on-site parking in one location. Join us for a variety of entertainment before and after every single home game, including giveaways, games, and Todd Thomas!
No ticket, no problem! Ballpark Village offers an unprecedented watch party experience with over 1,200 square feet of TVs, direct stadium feed, Budweiser Brew House Deck Parties post-game every Friday with DJ Todd Thomas and Official Cardinals Away Game Watch Parties with premium giveaways.
On Saturday, April 22, Ballpark Village will host Rally on Clark Spring 2017, an outdoor music festival for fans 21 and over on the Busch II Infield from 12:00-5:00 p.m. LA native, DJ Vice, will headline the event and features food trucks, a bounce house, inflatables, nitrogen gas and a beach ball drop. Tickets are $30 and can be purchased here. For all upcoming events at Ballpark Village, visit stlballparkvillage.com.
Cardinals Magazine Kicks Off 25th Anniversary Season
Cardinals Magazine opens its quarter-century anniversary campaign with a must-read feature on fan favorite Matt Carpenter, who is taking on new roles and responsibilities for his team in 2017. This April cover story features the ultimate compliment of No. 13 from “Charlie Hustle,” the incomparable Pete Rose, who describes Carpenter as his “favorite player” and someone he admires the way he plays the game. Speaking of those held in high regard, we sit down with Jose Oquendo, the man mentored by George Kissell and someone who will help develop the future of the franchise in his new role with the organization.
Fans will enjoy the breadth of stories in the season-opening edition. The first installment of our season-long 50th anniversary celebration of the 1967 World Championship season details the valuable contributions of Roger Maris, who brought his Yankee championship pedigree to the Cardinals. In keeping with our 25th anniversary season, you’ll love the beginning of our season-long “Pages From Our Past” section, where we’ll showcase the people, performances and franchise-defining moments we watched and wrote about over an ever-changing quarter-century of Cardinals baseball. You’ll also enjoy the debuts of three player-specific departments: #DearDexter, where the All-Star centerfielder answers questions from fans; The Lynn-Sider, a monthly column written by Lance Lynn; and East Meets West, featuring the views from opposite sides of the country from West Virginia native Jedd Gyorko and California kid Greg Garcia. And you’ll appreciate our detailed look at the promising wave of young talent in the farm system!
New for 2017, Cardinals Magazine is now available at several additional retail locations throughout Busch Stadium, including from vendors inside stadium gates, team store locations, portable red merchandise carts, Majestic and Cardinals Authentics stores inside Ballpark Village and the Cardinals Authentics Shop in Ford Plaza. Throughout metro St. Louis, the magazine is available for purchase at major retailers like Cardinals Clubhouse mall stores, Dierbergs, Schnucks, Shop ‘n Save, QuikTrip and Walgreens.
Print and digital subscriptions are available at cardinals.com/magazine or by calling 314-345-9000. If you sign up today, you’ll receive 2 free tickets to a 2017 home game. For additional team coverage, follow Cardinals Magazine on Twitter @CardsMagazine and watch our weekly segments on the Cardinals Insider TV show.
2017 Official Scorecard Celebrates Club’s 125th Anniversary
Featuring the cover artwork of acclaimed St. Louis illustrator Mike Right—the scorecard designer since 2003—this season’s scorecard celebrates the franchise’s 125th anniversary logo paired with 12 Cardinals utilized by the club through the decades. Inside, you’ll find a tutorial on how to keep score the “Cardinal Way,” a method practiced by club officials since the 1940s.
Purchase the scorecard individually—or with the latest edition of Cardinals Magazine for just $5—from Busch Stadium vendors inside the gates, team store locations, red merchandise carts and Cardinals Authentics. Purchase additional scorecards at cardinals.com/scorecard.
Cardinals Work #4AGreenerGame
The Cardinals will host its 8th annual Green Week at Busch from Tuesday, April 25 through Sunday, April 30. To kick off Green Week festivities, the Cardinals and MERS Goodwill are hosting an electronics recycling and general donations drive on Friday, April 21 from 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Fans may drop off unused or unwanted computers and electronic equipment at donation trailers in the Lot C Parking Lot, located at the corner of 8th Street and Cerre Street, immediately south of I-64/40. Visit cardinals.com/greenweek for full details.
The Green Team is a group of volunteers who walk down the aisles of the seating bowl in-between innings collecting recyclables from fans and promoting recycling at Busch Stadium. In exchange for their services, volunteers are able to watch the game in standing room only sections of Busch Stadium, as collections are only done in-between innings and during pitching changes so as not to disturb fans trying to watch the game. To volunteer or learn more, visit cardinals.com/green (#4AGreenerGame).
Cardinals in the Community
Cardinals Care (#CardsCare) was established to give fans a way of teaming up with Cardinals players and the organization to help children in our community—both on and off the baseball field. Established in 1997, Cardinals Care has invested over $22 million to support St. Louis area children and built or renovated 22 youth ball fields in local under-resourced neighborhoods. Most recently, the Cardinals dedicated Adam Wainwright Field at Bob Russell Park in August 2016.
This season marks the 14th year of Cardinals Care’s innovative Redbird Rookies program, a free baseball league for kids who otherwise might not have the opportunity to play. In addition to providing all the uniforms, gloves, bats, balls and other equipment needed for each team, Redbird Rookies also provides extensive off-field support in the areas of health, education, mentoring and the cultural arts for each of the nearly 4,500 kids who participate in the program each year. Fans can learn how to support Cardinals Care by visiting cardinals.com/community.
Cardinals Insider with Ozzie Smith
Cardinals Insider, the club’s weekly half-hour new magazine television show, made its season debut on March 26 with new host Ozzie Smith. Now in its second season, Cardinals Insider with Ozzie Smith is available within 17 television markets in eight states. Over the offseason, a new digital newsroom was constructed within the Cardinals press box to house the team’s multimedia video unit. Five full-time journalists were hired to provide fans with behind the scenes access and daily content for the team’s various digital and social platforms including cardinals.com, YouTube, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
The show features a mix of news, player profiles, exclusive interviews, in-depth features, and a look back in team history with exclusive content from the team’s large archive and extensive museum collection. In addition to offering fans an unprecedented view behind the scenes with the team, the show also places a strong emphasis on fan engagement and leveraging the team’s social media to enrich the viewer experience. New episodes air locally on KSDK every Sunday at 10:00 a.m. More information about the show, including previous episodes and a full list of affiliates and show times, can be found at cardinals.com/insider. (#CardsInsider)
With his recent contract extension through 2020, Yadier Molina joins an elite group of players who could play their entire career with one team. Let Yadi know how happy you are he will be a career Cardinal by taking a photo of yourself with Paper Yadi and sharing on social with #YadiYadiYadi. You may even see your Paper Yadi post on the club’s social media pages or on the Busch Stadium scoreboard! Go to cardinals.com/yadi to download and print your Paper Yadi today.
Cardinals Fan Engagement Video Initiatives
#CardsFanFlix is the St. Louis Cardinals ongoing fan engagement initiative developed to encourage fans to create videos that celebrate the team. Throughout the season, the Cardinals sponsor a variety of promotions, contests and campaigns under the umbrella of #CardsFanFlix asking fans to creatively use video to demonstrate their enthusiasm and support of the team while also having some fun:
- The Second Annual Take Me Out To The Ballgame Talent Video Contest was launched in March, encouraging fans to submit videos of them singing their best rendition of “Take Me Out to the Ballgame.” The winning video, which will be selected by a fan vote, will be shown on the scoreboard at Busch Stadium before the Cardinals—Rockies game on July 26. The winner will also be treated to a VIP experience that includes 12 tickets to the game. Fans may submit their videos until May 21, followed by finalists being voted on by fans online from June 2-30 at cardinals.com/talent (winner to be announced July 3).
Follow the Cardinals on Social Media
Join the Cardinals throughout the season on a variety of social media platforms including Twitter (@Cardinals), Facebook (facebook.com/cardinals), Instagram (Cardinals), Snapchat (cardinals), Pinterest (pinterest.com/cardinalsmlb), Tumblr (stlcardinals) and Google + (St. Louis Cardinals). Fans will get an inside look at the team, exclusive promotions and giveaways, breaking news, behind-the-scenes photos, videos and much more. For more info, and a list of verified player twitter accounts, visit cardinals.com/connect. Join the conversation using #STLCards.
The Cardinals have also launched a Spanish language Twitter account (@cardenales) and Facebook account (facebook.com/stlcardenales) in an effort to reach a rapidly growing segment of the team’s domestic and international fan base. Followers will see real time updates about the Cardinals and unique Spanish language content designed to take fans behinds the scenes with the team. Furthermore, Los Cardenales, a dedicated Spanish language video page, has been added to the team’s website at cardinals.com/loscardenales. Join the conversation using #STLCardenales.
Every Friday, Fredbird and Team Fredbird will appear somewhere within Cardinal Nation to give away a select number of free tickets or items to lucky fans on a first come, first served basis. Be sure to join the fun. To find out where Fredbird will be each week follow us on Facebook at facebook.com/cardinals and on Twitter @Cardinals, or visit cardinals.com/fredbirdfridays for more details (#Fredbird).
2017 Official Team Media Guide
The Cardinals official team Media Guide has long been relied upon by journalists and broadcasters who cover the team. Containing stats, photos and biographies of every player in the Cardinals organization, along with the definitive history of the club since its inception, the 2017 Media Guide is the most comprehensive book about the Cardinals. The 2017 Media Guide is available for $20 at the Official Cardinals Team Store, the Cardinals Authentics Shop or online at cardinals.com/mediaguide.
- Dynamic Deals of the Week: The Cardinals’ dynamic pricing system allows them to offer outstanding ticket savings to fans throughout the season. Special values will be highlighted each Monday as part of the “Dynamic Deals of the Week” promotion. Fans can view the Dynamic Deals at cardinals.com/dynamicdeal.
- KMOX 1120 First Pitch Tickets: At 9:00 a.m. on the day of each game, the first 275 fans may purchase a voucher good for two tickets to that day’s game for just $11.20. The voucher may be redeemed 10 minutes before the scheduled start of the game. The tickets may be anywhere in the park, depending on availability. Visit cardinals.com/firstpitch for full details.
- Coca-Cola Sundays: Enjoy Sunday games in select Pavilion and Terrace level seats at a special low price. Each ticket purchased also includes a free Coca-Cola and a Hunter hot dog. Tickets start at just $10 each! Visit cardinals.com/cocacola to purchase tickets or for more details.
- Phillips 66 Discount Ticket Offer: Fill up with 8 gallons or more at participating Phillips 66 and receive a voucher for up to 50% off a pair of tickets to a Cardinals game. Visit cardinals.com/phillips66 for details.
- Cardinals/Six Flags Double Play Combo: Each Double Play Combo includes a ticket to a 2017 Cardinals game and one single-day admission to Six Flags for just $55. Visit cardinals.com/sixflags to purchase Double Play Combos or for more information.