One thing that many baseball fans don’t ever think about is the payroll; sure, you’ll hear people talk about how the Yankees throw money at star players, or how the A’s don’t spend money, but you don’t always see the day to day impacts of signings.
Notes about options:
- Matt Carpenter – $18.5M club option in 2020.
- Jaime Garcia – $12M club option in 2017.
- Jedd Gyorko – $13M club option in 2020.
- Matt Holliday – $17M club option in 2017; becomes guaranteed if he finishes within the Top 10 of NL MVP voting in 2016.
- Mike Leake – $18M mutual option in 2021.
- Yadier Molina – $15M mutual option in 2018.
- Seung-Hwan Oh – $TBD club option for 2017.
- Jordan Walden – $5.25M club option for 2017.
- Kolten Wong – $12.5M club option for 2017.
- The Padres sent $7.5M with Jedd Gyorko.
- Oh’s contract has some unknown verbage; he agreed to a $5M contract, but it was reported the base was $2.5M for 2016. There was no word on the option. He does have incentives to raise the total value to $11M.